What Is a National Space Society Chapter?
The National Space Society exists because of the membership's desire to see an aggressive, ambitious space program leading to space settlement.
What activities does a local chapter pursue?
No two chapters are alike. They take on a personality consistent with the talents, interests and availability of local members. Another important factor is the availability of funding and local resources (does your area have a science museum, planetarium, etc?). The broad range of chapter activities includes the following:
- Sponsoring speakers and films.
- Forming a Speakers Bureau for use by local civic and school groups.
- Space Week organization.
- Appearing on radio and TV shows as "local Space experts."
- Visiting local Congressional representatives.
- Political awareness campaigns (letter writing, etc).
- Phone Tree organization.
- Exhibits and Information Booths (at malls, conventions, etc.).
- Teaching courses (continuing education, etc.).
- Cosponsoring Explorer Posts, Young Astronaut Chapters or other youth groups.
- Operating their own chapter website, hosting chats or a Bulletin Board for space information.